* Robot Components
There are many essential components to develop and build a robot, such as a controller that acts as the robot’s brain, the sensor that acts as the cognition, the mechanism that is in charge of the robot’s appearance and structure, the motion group that acts as the joints, and the power group that acts as the nerves that supplies various wires and energy to the entire robot. The controller part mainly uses an embedded board, PC, smart device, and the motion part uses electric motor, pneumatic/hydraulic device, and artificial muscle. Electric motors are most commonly used as robot joints because they are cheap and easy to control.
* Robot Actuators
Electric motors are used in the joints of a robot and are also referred to as actuators. It is used to drive the robot and plays a vital role to maneuver the robot. Human beings and animal can perform various movements because of the multiple joints we have. Robots can be capable of various and natural movements if they have more joints. In order for a robot to use multiple joints, the actuators must have various functions in them as well. You must be able to control it for precise movements, and also check on the motor status to prevent working beyond the actuator’s capability. Even if the robot has many actuators, it should not consume too much power and should not require the controller to have high computational power in order to control all the actuators.
Supplying robot components with various functions and performance to robot developers is the main business and core technology of ROBOTIS.
*What is a Dynamixel?
DYNAMIXEL is a robot exclusive actuator developed by ROBOTIS, and the name derived from two words.
DYNAMIC + CELL = DYNAMIXEL
Based on our unrivaled technology and precise production capabilities, we present our actuator the DYNAMIXEL, the world’s most beloved actuator by robot developers. The DYNAMIXEL enables anyone to easily and conveniently make a robot. Anyone can become a robot expert and implement imaginary robots. Realize the robot of your dreams!
* Why you should use DYNAMIXELs.
1. DYNAMIXEL is EASY!
- All-in-one module with a variety of elements required to drive a robot without other devices. All you need is power and communication to operate a robot.
- We offer various source codes and tools to help first timers with DYNAMIXEL to operate a robot within a day.
2. DYNAMIXEL is VARIOUS!
- Select from our wide variation of models that suits your system needs based on torque, velocity, and command signals.
- We offer a wide line-up of actuators, from low-cost models for beginners to high performance models for professionals.
3. DYNAMIXEL is the King of Applications!
- DYNAMIXEL s can be used in many fields.
- DYNAMIXEL s can be applied to educational robot kits, research platforms, and experimental devices.
- DYNAMIXEL s can be used to build dancing robots, kinetic art, medical equipment, guide robots, robot arm that carries and moves objects, robots that operate in dangerous environments, healthcare robots, pilot robots that maneuver airplanes and cars. DYNAMIXEL s can be used to build almost any robot.
* Characteristics of the DYNAMIXEL
1. All-in-One Modular Design
- All-in-one structure with embedded functions required for a robot actuator
2. Universal Assembly Structure
- Various optional frames available to offer diverse robot designs
- CAD data published to enable precise yet creative designs robots
3. Network Driven
- Control each DYNAMIXEL by sending data packets through a single bus
- Supports RS-485 and TTL networks
4. Simple Linking Structure
- Daisy chain wiring scheme allows easy wiring
- Supports easy expansion capability
5. Various Feedback Functions
- Current position, velocity, internal temperature, input voltage, etc…
- Current based torque control
6. Various and sophisticated control performance
- PID Control
- Position Control, Velocity Control, Torque Control
7. High voltage, low current user environment
- Minimized current consumption to maximize power efficiency
- Provides stable battery usage time
8. Offers various development environments
- GUI based software developed by ROBOTIS (RoboPlus also referred to as R+)
- SDK, source codes and library for Windows, Linux, Mobile environments
- C/C++, JAVA, MATLAB, LABVIEW, ROS and various development environments
9. Wide variety of line-ups
- Various line-ups from entry level to high performance model
- Choose from low-end models with spur gears to high-end models with cycloid gears
- Applies various components from low cost cored motors to reliable BLDC motors
10. Wide range of use
- Articulated robots, mobile robots, manipulators, automation system
- Education, R&D, entertainment
- Medical, defence, service, aerospace, production lines
* Detailed information by DYNAMIXEL Series
* Selection Guide
* Compatibility Guide
* DYNAMIXEL SDK